Wednesday 28 November 2012

Ke$ha Emerges as a Positive Female Role Model

Do you want to share?

Do you like this story?

YOUR GOOGLE ADSENSE CODE HERE (300x250)
YOUR GOOGLE ADSENSE CODE HERE (300x250)

Ke$ha Emerges as a Positive Female Role Model

Ke$ha performing on the Today show.Though it seems like just yesterday we were trying to get Ke$ha's super annoying, incredibly catchy single, 'Tik-Tok,' out of our heads, now she's back, with a new album and an illustrated memoir! Ke$ha is growing on us, and here's why:

She has serious songwriting chops.


Unlike many female pop stars that have come before her, Ke$ha had her first taste of fame as a songwriter. While working as a waitress, she broke into the business singing back-up vocals on Britney Spears' "Lace and Leather" in 2008. Then, in 2009, she wrote the title track to Miley Cyrus' record The Time of Our Lives. In 2011, Ke$ha gave her track, "Till the World Ends," to Ms. Spears. The song spent over fourteen weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 charts and sold over a million copies.

She puts her career first.

In an interview with Glamour magazine, Ke$ha described why it's hard for her to maintain a relationship: "I'm in the middle of writing a new record. I'm taking so many different instrument lessons. I'm also designing animal-friendly jewelry and a fake-fur line. So if a man is not, like, the second coming, then what's the point? I have other s--t to do."


Three words: Healthy body image.

Unlike other pop stars, Ke$ha seems comfortable in her own skin. We love that Ke$ha looks strong and womanly. Her new album is called Warrior, after all.
Sporting a softer look at the American Music Awards.
She confronts double standards head-on.

Responding to criticism that her songs feature an unladylike amount of drugs and sex, Ke$ha responded: "If men can talk about drinking in every awesome rock 'n' roll song and every awesome rap song, why can't a woman? Just because I drink doesn't mean I'm a drunk. Just because I have sex, and I'm not embarrassed doesn't mean I'm a whore."

Her memoir has been called the answer to The Feminine Mystique


In an article for The Atlantic, writer Ashley Fetters points out similarities in Ke$ha's life philosophy to that of the greatest feminist thinkers of our time. In 1992, Feminine Mystique author Betty Friedan told Playboy: "I suppose sometimes women are sex objects-and men are too, by the way . . . Let's have men centerfolds." Ke$ha, responding to criticism of her single "Blah Blah Blah," echoed the sentiment: "I've never censored myself for anyone, but when writing that song in particular I decided I wanted to talk about men the way men talk about women. I wanted to level the playing field. I'm a young, responsible woman who can work and party as hard as any man. So, if I want to talk about drinking and sex, I'm going to do it."

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

0 comments:

Advertisements

YOUR GOOGLE ADSENSE CODE HERE (300x250)

Advertisements

YOUR GOOGLE ADSENSE CODE HERE (300x250)