Thursday 7 February 2013

Lena Dunham Insists She Voted in 2012 Election, Calls Voting System ‘Steampunk Cornmaze’

Do you want to share?

Do you like this story?

YOUR GOOGLE ADSENSE CODE HERE (300x250)
YOUR GOOGLE ADSENSE CODE HERE (300x250)
Lena Dunham. (WireImage)Lena Dunham would make a good politician one day … because apparently she’s not so great at telling the truth.
Although the “Girls” star and creator was very politically active last year before President Barack Obama’s re-election, she never bothered to actually vote, according to New York City politics blog Room Eight. The site dug up the 26-year-old’s voter file in Brooklyn and reports she “did not vote in the 2012 general election or in any local elections since she moved from her prior address in Tribeca.”
But on Thursday, after the story spread like wildfire all over the Internet, Dunham finally clarified what happened last November 5 ... kind of.
In a long-winded Twitter post, she wrote, "Hey kids, some people on the internet are saying I didn't vote. Some of them are still mad I used a sexy metaphor re: voting. Read on: I did vote. I tried to get an absentee ballot but, because our nation's voting system is a steampunk cornmaze, it didn't arrive. So not to be a martyr about it but I flew to New York to vote. I wasn't sure if my change of address had officially been registered so ... I went to my old polling place with my dad, where they let me vote by affidavit (what was totally allowed.) Obviously I voted for Romney. I hope everyone has a nice day."
So did she really vote? And if so, did it count? We're still confused ...
Dunham -- who tweets constantly about her everyday goings-on-- failed to mention any of the voting drama back in November when a concerned Twitter follower asked her if she had cast her vote before heading off to India and she replied, “Big time” … although the wording isn’t an explicit “yes." Maybe because she didn’t want to get caught in a lie?
[Related: Lena Dunham: Rihanna ‘Cracks My Heart in Half’ With Chris Brown]
Lena's voting look. (Instagram)Instead, on the day of the election on November 6, she implored her female Twitter followers to “put on your voting best. May I plz see pics of your voting "looks"?” Dunham even uploaded a photo of her voting “look”: a super-short black dress with fishnets and thigh-highs … but alas, no “I Voted!” sticker.
The Golden Globe-winning actress, whose “Girls” character is known for being promiscuous and very outspoken on the HBO series, caused a stir last fall when she starred in a pro-Obama PSA urging young voters to make their voice heard in the election using sexual analogies. “Your first time shouldn’t be with just anybody,” Dunham said. “You wanna do it with a great guy … someone who really cares about and understands women.”
[Related: Lena Dunham to Howard Stern: ‘I’m Not That Fat’]
It seems she didn’t take her advice when it came to her first time either. According to BuzzFeed, although she was of legal age to vote in 2004, she did not. The only election Dunham has made her voice heard in was Obama’s first election in 2008.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

0 comments:

Advertisements

YOUR GOOGLE ADSENSE CODE HERE (300x250)

Advertisements

YOUR GOOGLE ADSENSE CODE HERE (300x250)