Thursday 24 October 2013

Janelle Monae Admits Beneath Her Uniform is a ‘Ghetto Girl’

Do you want to share?

Do you like this story?

YOUR GOOGLE ADSENSE CODE HERE (300x250)
YOUR GOOGLE ADSENSE CODE HERE (300x250)
janelle monae 1Janelle Monae let her hair down – so to speak – in her latest interview with Uptown magazine. The “Tightrope” singer known for her perfectly pinned-up pompadour, her black and white uniform, James Brown moves and funky lyrics insists that underneath it all she’s just a “ghetto girl.”
Check out excerpts from her interview below:
On growing tired of journalists asking the same questions:
“Yes. Interviews are like marriages sometimes, and things become old. It’s time to spruce up this sex life! We need to try some new things. I am always asked, ‘Why do you wear that tuxedo?’ Or, ‘We know that your parents wore uniforms, is that why you wear a uniform?’ I want to tell them: ‘You know good and darn well [a scant Southern accent emerges] that you read that somewhere.’ I am wondering, ‘Why are you asking me the same question?’ Let’s talk about the music, the message and why my eyelashes are long.”
On what people don’t know about her:
“People think I am so straitlaced and buttoned-up. There is a lot of life underneath this tuxedo. I like to have fun. I enjoy practical jokes. I enjoy rolling around the mall in wheelchairs. I enjoy taking someone’s baby and putting it on my hip for about two hours straight and then giving it back.”
On not wanting to meet anyone who calls her a hero:
“But if I am anyone’s hero, please don’t meet me. Stay away. I am not what you think I am. We keep coming back to this notion of identity. Honestly, I am just a ghetto black girl underneath it all. My tuxedo is supposed to make me look refined.[...]I will never ever suppress who I am for anyone. Karl Lagerfeld would not change his ponytail or his black and white wardrobe for anyone. But the next person that asks me about wearing a tuxedo, I will give them a hug and then a slap.”
On her social responsibility as a celebrity:
“If I were not a woman, or African-American, or have people in my life that have not been directly discriminated against, then I would not feel a social responsibility. When you love and care about people and you see young people dying, it’s impossible to ignore. Let me be clear: When I speak of androids, I am speaking of the new form of the ‘other.’ You can parallel that to people who are gay or lesbian, those whose skin is considered too dark; women still are not receiving equal rights. I write music that fights against self-hate. It is about loving yourself, even if it makes others uncomfortable.”

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

0 comments:

Advertisements

YOUR GOOGLE ADSENSE CODE HERE (300x250)

Advertisements

YOUR GOOGLE ADSENSE CODE HERE (300x250)